The Pentrehobyn Logo Call Us Now


Line + Page 1 + Line


The present house of Pentrehobyn was built by Edward Lloyd in 1625 on the site of a house some 100 years earlier.  It has remained in the same family ever since.  The Lloyds of Pentrehobyn are descended from Hywel ap Edwin who was elected Prince of Wales in 1096.

Next to the property are a unique row of Llettai, or 8 cells, complete with an overseer’s cottage at the end.  These additional Grade 1 buildings contain a plaque stating “These Llettae were erected by Mr. Edward Lloyd when he built the house of Pentrehobyn.  After the suppression of the monasteries there were no resting places for the poor moving from one place to another”.

It is believed that these Llettae were built by the grandfather of Edward Lloyd in about 1550, also called Edward Lloyd.  The present drive was the main road at that time which meant that it passed very close to the house, hence the many requests for hospitality that resulted in the building of the Llettae.

Inside the house there are two sets of early 17th century carvings above the dining room and central hall fireplaces.  The dining room carvings are earlier while the carving in the main hall commemorates the successful attack by the Prince of Wales against the army of Randulph, Earl of Chester.  Three Englishmen’s heads were presented to the Prince of Wales who, in turn, granted these as the Lloyd ancestor’s coat of arms.

There is an unusual mediaeval carving, of “y-sbûr” at the foot of the staircase.  This is reported as having come from another Lloyd family property near Llangynog, Montgomeryshire, and is probably what remains of a sideboard or buffet used to support the provisions of bread or cheese.

The entrance hall of Pentrehobyn incorporates an early oak screen on which the craftsmen’s marks are clearly shown, together with some carved dates.  Similar craftsmens’ marks can be seen on the huge oak beams supporting the roof on the second floor, currently used as a TV screening area.